Senior Tax Assistant OR Assistant Tax Manager
- Tax Team
Full time: 33.75 hours a week,
Monday to Friday, 9.00am-5.00pm
- Edinburgh or Glasgow, Scotland
We are looking to recruit either a Senior Tax Assistant or an Assistant Tax Manager to join our Tax team in Edinburgh or Glasgow office. The successful candidate is expected to have previous experience in a similar role.
The position is on a full-time permanent basis. The role will principally be based in our Edinburgh or Glasgow office but the Firm supports a hybrid working approach through our Smarter Working policy.
The main duties will be:
- Undertake the timeous preparation and submission of annual tax returns for individuals and trusts;
- Agree correct tax liabilities with HMRC within time limits;
- Provide pro-active advice on the mitigation of tax liabilities and the organisation of a client’s tax affairs and will provide ad-hoc tax advice to clients and prospective clients as required;
- Respond promptly to clients’ and HMRC’s queries and correspondence and those of other agents;
- Maintain internal records and files to assist in the above. Review own clients regularly to ensure files, section records and other matters, including feeing tax matters, are up-to-date;
- Complete draft Tax Returns form, for individuals and trusts after obtaining information from client, internal sources and external sources e.g. banks and brokers etc;
- Prepare schedules of investment income and ensure that all records are present and correct;
- Complete Capital Gains Tax calculation from information obtained internally or from the client;
- Ensure that the Tax Return forms received, are sent to the client for signature with a bound copy and a summary sheet showing which tax is payable and when it is due for payment;
- Lodge Client Tax Returns and a copy of the liabilities with the Inspector of Taxes and ask for agreement to issue notices of assessment; and
- Appeal incorrect assessments on behalf of the client.
The successful candidate will be expected to have a minimum of 3 to 5 years work experience in a similar role with a strong background in Personal Tax, UK Income Tax and Capital Gains knowledge.
The candidate will preferably be ATT qualified and/or CIOT qualified, ensuring you maintain up to date knowledge of relevant tax legislation and rules.
You should have strong processing skills, be numeric and a high degree of accuracy is essential. You are expected to be a strong team player who also has the ability to work on their own initiative with minimum supervision.
Please send CVs to Clare Hedges, HR Consultant at email@example.com
By applying and submitting an application for a position within Turcan Connell, applicant’s information will be held by the Firm for the purpose for which it was collected. All applications will be deleted following a period of six months.
About Turcan Connell
Founded in 1997, we give clear, tailored and pragmatic advise to our clients on a full range of legal services along with a complete set of tax services. At Turcan Connell, we value our clients and the communities in which we operate. Learn more about how we’re giving back to the wider community.