A Consultation Paper entitled Further Options for Alcohol Licensing was issued by The Scottish Government in December 2012. It invites views on proposals to (i) strengthen the powers of Licensing Boards and the Police and (ii) improve the effectiveness of the licensing regime.
A number of questions are posed, including on the following points:-
- powers of the Police and Licensing Boards in respect of restrictions on licensed premises within an area where disorder is likely to occur (e.g. closure of all licensed premises in a particular area before and after a football match);
- the reintroduction of the"fit and proper person" test for licence holders;
- new statutory duties on Licensing Boards;
- an English language test for licence holders;
- the removal of uncertainties raised by the decision in the case of Brightcrew Limited v Glasgow Licensing Board;
- the approach to over provision;
- members' clubs;
- internet sales – orders dispatched from England but"taken" in Scotland;
- the sale of alcohol from garage forecourts;
- the timing of Licensing Board training.
The deadline for responding to the Consultation is Friday 21st March 2013.