The Sale of a Company
Because of our deep experience particularly in advising entrepreneurs and family businesses on a company sale, the added value we bring is the ability to predict issues before they arise and to work out a solution in advance. Additionally, our team is encouraged not to sit on the fence and simply provide a range of options to solve problems but actively to work with our clients in suggesting the best solution. We also seek to add value to transactions by optimising the structure of a transaction which can often yield financial benefits. We are also very strong on the financial components of transactions as our lawyers receive in depth training on the complex accounting aspects and have a firm grasp of balance sheet issues.
The following is a list of some of the transactional work our team has undertaken in recent years:
- Disposal of Hotdocs Limited to a private equity backed legal tech business in the US;
- Disposal of The Town House Collection (luxury 5* Blythswood Square Hotel and The Boutique Bonham Hotel) to Starwood Capital;
- Disposal of West Highland Free Press, a Skye based newspaper in an Employee Buy Out;
- Disposal of AK Stoddart Limited a substantial meat processing business;
- Disposal of a substantial student accommodation company;
- Disposal of a novel tech business in the music industry to a West Coast USA tech giant;
- Disposal of a luxury 5* Scottish resort hotel to an overseas investor;
- Disposal of an operational wind farm company with assets on several farms across Scotland;
- Disposal of a substantial AD plant company;
- Disposal of a financial services company;
- Disposal of an industrial tooling business in the oil and gas industry;
- Disposal of an industrial patents business; and
- MBOs/VIMBOs – we conduct a significant number of MBOs annually across a range of industries, with a particular recent highlight being the VIMBO of John White and Sons (Weighing Machines) Limited, Scotland’s oldest family business (8th generation, established 1715).
- Buy and build strategy for a family office, busuiness services sector;
- Acquisition of a business services company for a well-known entrepreneur;
- Acquisition for a renewable energy client of a competitor;
- Acquisition for a family business of the division of a competitor;
- Acquisition of a luxury hotel in St Andrews via share purchase;
- Acquisition of a substantial Scottish Sporting Estate via share purchase;
- Acquisition of international conglomerate of the chemicals division of a competitor; and
- Acquisition of a construction company.
If you are thinking of purchasing or disposing of a company or business, get in touch with a member of the team today.