Because of our specialism in business succession planning, we are regularly instructed on the sale of substantial Scottish businesses across many industries and our business law (corporate) team is expert in guiding our clients through this significant process.
The Sale of a Company
We take a different approach to deal making. As our clients’ objective is to complete a transaction with the least level of stress, we go out of our way to ensure that we are aligned to that by taking a collaborative approach to working with a buyer’s transaction team (while of course maintaining a robust position) and to providing sound commercial advice which will involve helping our client to come to a pragmatic position on the issues which arise. Because of our deep experience particularly in advising entrepreneurs and family businesses on a company sale, the added value we bring is the ability to predict issues before they arise and to work out a solution in advance. Additionally, our team is encouraged not to sit on the fence and simply provide a range of options to solve problems but actively to work with our clients in suggesting the best solution. We also seek to add value to transactions by optimising the structure of a transaction which can often yield financial benefits. We are also very strong on the financial components of transactions as our lawyers receive in depth training on the complex accounting aspects and have a firm grasp of balance sheet issues.
Transactional Work and Disposal of Businesses
The following is a list of some of the transactional work our team has undertaken in recent years:
- Disposal of Hotdocs Limited to a private equity backed legal tech business in the US;
- Disposal of The Town House Collection (luxury 5* Blythswood Square Hotel and The Boutique Bonham Hotel) to Starwood Capital;
- Disposal of West Highland Free Press, a Skye based newspaper in an Employee Buy Out;
- Disposal of AK Stoddart Limited a substantial meat processing business;
- Disposal of a substantial student accommodation company;
- Disposal of a novel tech business in the music industry to a West Coast USA tech giant;
- Disposal of a luxury 5* Scottish resort hotel to an overseas investor;
- Disposal of an operational wind farm company with assets on several farms across Scotland;
- Disposal of a substantial AD plant company;
- Disposal of a financial services company;
- Disposal of an industrial tooling business in the oil and gas industry;
- Disposal of an industrial patents business; and
- MBOs/VIMBOs – we conduct a significant number of MBOs annually across a range of industries, with a particular recent highlight being the VIMBO of John White and Sons (Weighing Machines) Limited, Scotland’s oldest family business (8th generation, established 1715).
Acquisition of Businesses
We do of course handle the acquisition of businesses and here are some examples:
- Acquisition of a business services company for a well-known entrepreneur;
- Acquisition for a renewable energy client of a competitor;
- Acquisition for a family business of the division of a competitor;
- Acquisition of a luxury hotel in St Andrews via share purchase;
- Acquisition of a substantial Scottish Sporting Estate via share purchase; and
- Acquisition of international conglomerate of the chemicals division of a competitor.
If you are thinking of purchasing or disposing of a company or business, get in touch with a member of the team today.